Sunday, November 3, 2013

Deepdale Dash 10k 2013

For me, running in some local races is an integral part of settling into my new life in the East Riding of Yorkshire.  This includes big races like the inaugural Yorkshire Marathon but also some smaller low key races put on by many of the local running clubs. One such race is the Deepdale Dash 10k organised by Barton and District AC.   

On a sunny but very windy Sunday morning, Zoe and I bundled ourselves into the car and drove the 40 minutes south and across the Humber bridge to Barton Upon Humber.  The race started and finished at a school in the middle of the town.  We quickly realised that there was a super friendly atmosphere and everything was very well organised.  Lots of smiling faces from volunteers and everything close to hand.  We noticed lots of racers there from other running clubs from near and far. 

After a good warm up, we were lining up to start along with 300 other runners.  The weather was chilly but dry and sunny.  However, the wind was very blustery and could come into play as we headed out of the town and into the dales. Then we were off and the first half a mile was down hill.  Zoe was ahead of me and we were galloping at a rather speedy pace, too fast but I knew it would soon settle down as the course turned uphill as we headed out of the town.  Zoe and I decided to run our own race this time but I knew she would give me a run for my money!

Once out of the town, we were running through the undulating countryside of the dales which might explain the race name. The rolling landscape allowed for fantastic views, beautiful English countryside in the Autumn sunshine. The first three miles of the course lead us up and down several hills with a strong side wind had been blowing across us. The noise of runners race bibs fluttering against our chests was the predominant sound. However, this cross wind wasn't affecting my pace and my legs felt strong. I had passed Zoe towards the end of the first mile but knew she would be hot on my heels. 

Then we turned a corner and hit a flatter section with the wind at our backs. It was a relief to be on an easier section but then another corner and a short but steep downhill. The four mile marker was the start of the longest climb of the race, over one mile of constant uphill and also into a strong headwind too! I gritted my teeth and dug in but my pace was slowing as I neared the top.  The five mile marker was the top of the killer hill and then it was downhill for the last mile and back into Barton Upon Humber.  I ran as hard as I could in an attempt to make up lost time on that last climb and headed for the finish.

The final few corners and roads lead us through the town and then back into the finishing area.  I crossed the line in 42mins 14 secs.  Although I missed my PB time by 7 seconds, it was a hard course and also a windy day too. So I was really pleased with my time.  I finished 47th overall and 12th in my age category.  Zoe crossed the line in 44mins 6secs bagging her 8th lady overall and 4th in her age category.  Impressive running indeed! 

The Deepdale Dash was a blast.  Great organisation, warm and friendly atmosphere, scenic course and a good challenge.  It's a keeper!

Featured Post

Knee Knacker 2013

The Knee Knacker is a bit of a iconic race on the West Coast of Canada, especially amongst the trail running community. First run in 1989,...